Med-Cal Enrollment

Health Insurance Enrollment


Enrollment Assistance

Friends of Family Health Center provides free Medi-Cal enrollment assistance and guidance to everyone.

For assistance, schedule an appointment with our Certified Enrollment Counselor by calling 562-690-0400 (choose option 7 - Insurance Enrollment Counselor)


What is Medi-Cal?

Medi-Cal is California's Medicaid health care program. This program pays for a variety of medical services for children and adults with limited income and resources. Medi-Cal is supported by federal and state taxes.

You can apply for Medi-Cal benefits regardless of sex, race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, or veteran status. If you are found (or determined) eligible, you can get Medi-Cal as long as you continue to meet the eligibility requirements.

What are the Benefits?

All of the health plans offered by Medi-Cal includes the same comprehensive set of benefits known as "essential health benefits.” Essential health benefits consist of:

  • Outpatient (Ambulatory) services
  • Emergency services
  • Hospitalization
  • Maternity and Newborn care
  • Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Services, including Behavioral Health Treatment
  • Prescription Drugs
  • Programs such as physical and occupational therapy (known as Rehabilitative & Habilitative Services) and devices
  • Laboratory services
  • Preventive and wellness services & chronic disease management
  • Children’s (Pediatric) services, including oral and vision care.

Who Qualifies?

  • Household or individuals that meet the income threshold. Income requirements can be found here.
  • Adults aged 50-64 as of May, 2022 who meet the eligibility requirements.
  • Beginning January 1, 2024, all individuals between the ages of 26-49 who meet the eligibility requirements, regardless of their immigration status.
  • Households or individuals with other special circumstances (i.e. those with Refugee or Asylum status, and Disabled persons.)
  • Pregnant women

What Documents Will I Need?

  • Driver's License or Identification Card for each adult applicant
    Proof of recent pay stubs. If you are self-employed, bring recent tax year retruns, self-affidavit, or employer letter
  • Social Security Card for each family member
  • U.S. Birth Certificate or Certificate of Naturalization or U.S. Passport for each family member in the household
  • Permanent Legal Resident Card, Current Work Permit, or Visa
  • If pregnant, bring proof of pregnancy.